- Choose the right major for you.
- Learn the requirements for the major and degree.
- Avoid “stopping-out” at all costs.
- Register and pass 15 credits per semester.
- Meet with your academic adviser regularly.
- Find the right student organization for you and be active in it.
- Take advantage of academic support programs.
- When you need help, ask for it.
Welcome, Bowie State University Bulldogs!
It is with enthusiasm that I welcome you to an exciting year here at Bowie State University. I hope you have taken some time to refresh and prepare for the upcoming demands of the 2015-2016 academic year. The faculty and staff have worked assiduously in anticipation of your arrival, and we hope their efforts will have a positive impact as you continue your academic journey at Bowie State. Be assured we stand ready to provide the student support services you will need to grow academically, socially, and personally.
To all students, both undergraduate and graduate, we remind you that your success at Bowie State will not be based solely on what the University can deliver to you, but it will also depend on your commitment to taking advantage of the learning opportunities afforded you at our great institution. We are confident you will love the rich traditions of the Bowie State experiences. So, as you begin the academic rigors and campus life experiences of the new academic year, we strongly encourage you to do the following:
1. Get to know your professors and their expectations;
2. Manage your time wisely;
3. Be engaged and be involved;
4. Meet your academic advisors and consult with them regularly;
5. Register for at least 15 credit hours per semester;
6. Set high expectations for yourself;
7. Practice self-care; and most of all,
8. Pursue your studies with “Bulldog” tenacity.
Best wishes! Do not hesitate to seek our guidance should you need assistance in any way.
Mickey L. Burnim, Ph.D.
The Bowie State University-Male Initiative mourns the passing of Dr. Freddie Vaughns. He was a champion for students and a role model for all.
A remembrance service will be held at 12:15 p.m. Monday July 6 in Myers Auditorium, Martin Luther King Jr. Communications Arts Center, Bowie State University.